Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Social Network

I belong to several social networks.  I belong to the blogging community with this blog you are reading now.  I belong to a football/soccer social network at soccerflow.com and I belong to a new and grow social network when it comes to gaming (wctbandits.com).  Just yesterday my cousin Adrian (who lives in England) asked me to join face book, which is another social network.

These communities that continue to grow online will continue to grow until the next fad.  Just look at the fact that instant message was all the craze.  Social networks have allowed many people to do business such as selling music, photos, toys, you name it and its out there.  Local artists use MySpace to sell their music which before the only way you could get it was by going to a show.

Many people have said that the social network is full of criminals looking for their next score.  Yes we all know that they are out there, but there are also some very good and honest people as well.  Due to the social network I have met people from all over the states and some from other countries.  Social networks have enabled me to stay in contact (very easily) with my friends and allow me to make new ones.

The question I guess I am headed to is what do you think of all of this.  Are you a member of the social network?  Do you think we are a bunch of criminals? Do you think we are hermits not wanting to deal with a world face to face?

Social networks have there upsides and downsides, but doesn't everything else.  People will exploit anything they think they can.  This is why you use your discretion with what you do and who you meet and so far the people I have met, I would consider my friends.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

as you know, i am a part of a few social networks online - and i am finding a lot of fulfillment in talking with people from all over the world who share my interests. i have had a myspace page forever, i have had public e-mail addresses, done online banking, online business, and am now doing business on etsy - never once have i been scammed or otherwise screwed by participating in things online. and guess what? i still have friends, activities, etc "face to face," enjoy being outside and going places, and haven't given up any other hobbies in lieu of being online. I think it's common for people to fear the unknown, and the media doesn't help to allay those fears by only sharing the negative with us. I think that the connections that are possible using new technology are amazing and will become common to everyone in the future. People used to be afraid of the telephone and t.v., too - and look where those technologies are today. :)

Simon Johnson said...

Amen to that!!!